Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Trying to gain some weight? Start here. BROWNIES!

Ahhh, I've spent two days with these on my mind. I've eaten them on my porch. I've eaten them hovering silently in the kitchen hoping my kids won't notice. I've eaten them at 6 am and I've eaten them at 12 pm. I.love.these.brownies.They are delicious in a way you'll only get when you make them yourself. A good vegan brownie is pretty elusive-I don't want to let you down but this isn't the fudgey kind of brownie. It is however moist, cakey and soooo yummy. Plus the recipe makes a huge double batch-you can spend the next couple days in a torturous yet delicious cakey coma like I have. You're welcome. Come on, come over to the dark side (as in dark coloured baked goods). This recipe was photocopied from a book, which was compiled from Internet gems-so thanks "Beth". You're brownies rock my world and make me chunky but happy.
What's with the flower you ask? First, it's pretty. Second, my icing looks like poo.

Vegan Brownies from heaven

2 1/4 flour
3/4 cups cocoa
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tbsp baking soda
1 cup canola oil
1 1/2-3/4 cup sugar
1 cup cold coffee
1 1/4 cups soymilk
3/4 cup walnuts or pecans, lightly toaster
3/4 cup vegan chocolate chips (I like president's choice semi sweet)

Preheat your oven to 375. In a large bowl, stir together flour, sifted cocoa, baking powder, soda. In a separate bowl, whisk together the oil and sugar, then coffee and soymilk. Add wet to dry, mixing until just combined. Fold in nuts and chocolate. Pour into a greased 9 X 13 baking pan. Bake for 20 minutes or more, until a toothpick/knife inserted comes out clean. Now if you possibly can, wait until it cools to frost or eat it right out of the pan as is.

Christina's 'delicious but gross looking' chocolate peanut butter icing

3 tbs melted coconut oil
2 cups icing sugar
2 tbs-1/4 cup cocoa (I'm going to be honest, I don't remember how much I used-add it until you find it sufficiently chocolatey)
2 tbs-1/4 cup peanut butter (again, I need to learn to measure)
Some boiling water for mixing

Pretty much just mix everything together, adding water as needed until it looks like frosting. Or fecal matter as mine did. When it taste this good it doesn't really matter what it looks like.

2 comments:

  1. Have you ever tried the chocolate cake in Veganomicon? It has coffee in it too, and it's ridiculously good. Even Karl, the anti-vegan, likes it. I just got Cloe's Kitchen, and we immediately went out and bought a doughnut pan. I have to say that vegan cooking encourages me to bake desserts in a way I never expected it to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww thanks baby! How were the donuts? Don't *even* give me a reason to start making donuts...that's just what I need :)

    ReplyDelete