Wednesday, May 9, 2012

I like to pretend I'm the Iron Chef

Do you ever watch Iron Chef? Sometimes I wish I had A) the skills in photoshop to superimpose a picture of myself into Iron Chef stadium for your viewing pleasure and B) a panel of semi famous judges to give me ratings of my invented creations. Dinner time often feels a bit like an Iron Chef-you've got one hour and a collection of random ingredients that barely go together-GO! Tonight that was my dinner and for once it didn't end with a "WTF was that"? Awesome! There is no picture of the actual meal but I hope you'll make it anyways. Please keep in mind that it was totally thrown together, so these measurements are complete approximations. As with anything, make sure you taste it and adjust the seasonings to your liking.

 Orange, White Bean and Brocolli Pasta

Spagetti/linguini/whatever noodles-cooked as per instructions and for about four servings
*Set aside until the end.
2 Tbs coconut oil
One cup cut brocolli
One onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic
2 cups kale
1/2 cup chopped zucchini
1 can of white beans, or approx 1.5 cups if you cook your own like you should :)
2 oranges, squeezed (in an innapproriate manner to make things more exciting)
1-2 tbs braggs/tamari/soy sauce
1/4-1 tsp sriracha hot sauce
1 tsp seasame oil

Cook onions in coconut oil until translucent and soft. Add garlic and saute for a couple of minutes before you add the brocolli. Let soften for about 5, then toss in the kale and zucchini. Let these bad boys soften up as well, then add your beans. My beans were really saucey, so if yours aren't you'll probably need a bit of water. At this point you can add the other ingredients and stir to mix. Heat completely, add your cooked noodles and toss to coat. Taste to make sure it's edible and voila, dinner is served! To get the full Iron Chef experience, stand around awkwardly while your tasters pick it apart and tell you what they love/hate about it.


2 comments:

  1. "I wish I had...B) a panel of semi famous judges to give me ratings of my invented creations." pfft, then why do you cry every time I rate your meals?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've yet to see your celebrity credentials. And I don't cry. I just get pissed off when you give me a low rating-but I do stand around awkwardly, so there's that.

    ReplyDelete