Saturday, October 9, 2010

Kale Chips!



So this is a little something called "lazy blogging". I'm currently whipping up a delicious batch of Lychee cupcakes from "Vegan cupcakes take over the world" as tomorrow I'm helping out with 'Food not bombs' (if you've never heard of it, go check it here: http://www.foodnotbombs.net/) and bringing some fab-o cupcakes to the masses. In light of this, I'm way too lazy to write out how to make Kale chips when some other more awesome blogger has already done it for me. Check out her 'Save the Kales' blog, it rocks my socks and is one of my faves! (http://savethekales.wordpress.com/) Heck, she even has a video! Today's trip to the farmer's market yeilded me the most alarmingly huge bunch of kale for $3, so I had to do something with it!



3 comments:

  1. wow .. interesting! May just have to try that! :-) What's that 'nutritional yeast'? Since I'm not even remotely a vegetarian .. is that a substitute for something I'd have on hand?

    Sandra :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, "Nutritional yeast is produced by culturing the yeast with a mixture of sugarcane and beet molasses, then harvesting, washing, drying and packaging the yeast. It is commercially available in the form of flakes, or as a yellow powder similar in texture to cornmeal, and can be found in the bulk aisle of most natural food stores.It is a source of protein and vitamins, especially the B-complex vitamins and is a complete protein. It is also naturally low in fat and sodium. Some brands of nutritional yeast, though not all, are fortified with vitamin B12. The vitamin B12 is produced separately from bacteria and then added to the yeast.

    Nutritional yeast has a strong flavor that is described as nutty, cheesy, or creamy, which makes it popular as an ingredient in cheese substitutes. It is often used by vegans in place of parmesan cheese. Another popular use is as a topping for popcorn. It can also be used in mashed and fried potatoes, as well as putting it into scrambled tofu or eggs. Some movie theaters offer it along with salt or cayenne pepper as a popcorn condiment."
    So there you go. You might try parmesean, or a mixture of salt, garlic/onion powder. I like "nooch" because it is a nice suppliment that tastes yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm, I love homemade Kale chips! So yum!

    ReplyDelete